Experimenting with Foods

I love to cook.  90% of the time my meals turn out perfect.  The other times, I screw up & when I screw up, I screw up big.  Today has me worried…  So I have a back up plan.

We are attempting to make a brisket for the first time.  However, we don’t have a smoker.  I borrowed one from a friend, but upon doing some online research, it’s not the right smoker for tonight’s dinner.  So I am trying to use my gas grill with a smoker box and indirect heat.  It will take all day.  I am hoping for it to be ready by dinner time.  The rub recipe is one a friend from work sent me.  His advice was to cook at 190 for what seems like a gazzilion hours.  So, I woke up at 06:30am and started the meat.  Halfway through the day, it smells fantastic but still has a long way to go.

Usually I BBQ my meats.  I have mastered the cooking times of everything I’ve ever made.  Like I said, 90% of the time the food turns out juicy and flavorful.  The other 10% is me rushing.  Waiting patiently all day to see the final product on a new dish is killing me.  I want it to turn out perfect so badly.  Ugh! The suspense!

What’s more terrifying is the fact that we are having some people stop by for dinner as well.  Remember I said I have a back up plan?  Well, it’s more my wife’s back up plan.  She is using the slow cooker and making a Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork.  It’s one she makes often and it is amazing.  So if I fail on the brisket, at least people will be fed on the pork.  I feel like I’m the Swedish Chef facing off against Gordon Ramsey.  Both cooking icons, both have different styles.

Slow and steady.  Slow and steady.

I must learn patience.  I wonder how long that takes?  Ugh.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.