Back in the summer of 2008, a year after we had moved into our home, we decided (mostly with my influence) to build a trainset in our garden instead of a pond. We cut down some trees and built up the ground to lay the tracks. It was a lot of time and a lot of fun. The kids were happy to help out in building it and watching it run. Plus at ages 2,4 & 6 playing in dirt is always the best.
Over the years, many changes have occurred to the train garden. Some of it was just trial and error as I figured out how to make it look good and continue to run. Some were just for fun. I’ve reconfigured the loops twice, built new bridges, placed bricks under the tracks to keep it level and even added in a small tunnel. We have had issues with moles, birds and even a snake trying to make a home out of the garden.
But the biggest hurdle is that I haven’t figured out how to keep the engines running smoothly. The tracks are outside all year and the electrical connection drops in various parts. This has caused excessive wear on the motors on both of my engines. I’ve had to replace the motors a few times now. My next option is to buy a battery pack- like the type used for RC cars. And of course a remote control to help run them. A remote that can eventually be used to control every aspect of the railroad. From lights to sounds to even lining switches. That way I can use the power source that I currently have to add some lighting to buildings or other structures. I love scale models of scenery shots. They’re so much fun to set up.
Our next biggest hurdle is money for my project. It would seem that whenever a bit of extra fun is wanted, something more serious rears its ugly head. Unfortunately this time it appears that our washing machine has decided to leak from who-knows-where. I’ve tried to take it apart to find the source of the leak, but to no avail. Looks like a new washer is about to be purchased in a couple of days.