Today would’ve marked my father’s birthday. But he left this world in the year 2000. Funny thing is I know very little about him even though he was in my life for 24 years.
I know his birthday is today and that he was born in Prague. My knowledge of his history is limited. He kept his past a guarded secret. These are the tidbits I do know:
- His middle initial is K. I believe it was for Karl- but I cannot be certain.
- He has a sister (whom I’ve never met or spoken to)
- In the summers of his youth, he was forced to leave home and work on a farm.
- He was a helicopter mechanic in Prague when he was 17.
- He defected to Canada in the early 1970’s.
- He left behind a wife and child (Also whom I’ve never met or spoken to) before marrying my mother.
- He enjoyed golf.
- He owned a deli once.
- He loved to build things for his home.
- He always wanted a Mercedes Benz, so he finally bought one.
- He worked long hours.
- He never wanted to go on vacation.
- Only once did he ever return to Prague.
- He yelled a lot.