Repair Man Joe

Our washing machine made a fun noise last week followed by a terrible smell. Not a dirt clothes smell, but rather a burning rubber smell. So I investigated.

Turns out the “boot” on our front loader got torn. To the Internet I went to scour for a part and instructions. Successful was I! And thus a new part was ordered.

This wasn’t the first time I’ve had to dismantle our washing machine. A few years ago it was leaking from the soap dispenser. That part was not available anywhere online. So I had to get creative using glue and plumbing tape. That fix worked 100%.

My research online explained that it would take one hour to replace the boot. It took me an hour and twenty minutes. Afterwards we ran a load of wash. No leaks! My repeat was successful.

But then the sound and smell happened again. The new boot was ruined. Online I went to find out why. Perhaps I should’ve looked deeper into why the first boot got wrecked. Turns out the gear holding the drum is worn. I am not in the mood to replace that gear or the drum. The cost and time is too high. So now we are off to buy a new washing machine.

So much for an inexpensive repair of the front rubber part. But at least I can say that I know how to do it. I think we are getting a top loader now.

Hmmph.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.